Monday 25 April 2016

ANZAC DAY CEREMONY EDWARDSTOWN.





It was a beautiful morning today.  Not cold - maybe cool and when the sun came up and the birds began to sing -  I looked across the many people of all ages who had gathered for Anzac Day.

At the Soldiers' Memorial Rose Garden this morning, we again joined together to remember and celebrate the lives of those who served in all wars and conflicts, and those still serving.
Remembering men who had died in WW1 and those who did return but too, are gone from us.
Sister Julianne spoke of men from different wars - including WW2 and Vietnam.

I remember my great uncle Percy who came back a different man and couldn't fit in anywhere, so he became a loner, and hermit who eventually died alone.  He never married and cut himself off from all of his relatives.  Since I have found out that he was living in the same small town where I was born.  Did he ever see me, meet me?    

I think of my old Wing Commander when I was in the Air Force.  His stories.

I think of my dear uncle Tex who went up north from Darwin in WW2 - a veteran who wouldn't talk of the war in New Guinea, but would recall many of his close friends as he drink a pint or three.

I think of my cousins who went to Korea and came back shattered.

I think of a nice young man who went to Vietnam and came back a totally different person.  I have not seen him since we were young teenagers.   He was drafted.  How it destroyed many lives.

I think of my young cousins who have been overseas in Afganistan and also peace keeping troops.

I think of those who are serving now.

So many people - so many lives - such a high cost.

Today's ceremony was  short and poignant.   I met a young man - a cub scout I think but very young,   who was in the rose garden area with his gran.   There were so many young children there and it delights the heart to see this.



The councillor who comes to say hi with a huge smile  on his face, while another councillor has just laid a wreath in honour of her kin who didn't come home from WW1.







Edwardstown RSL and others do a wonderful job in arranging the service every year and as we stand on the grass and surrounded by roses and rosemary bushes, with tall gum trees filtering the morning sun - we have a lot to be thankful for.   LEST WE FORGET

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels